It is recommended to wash your human hair/ hair piece wig every 7-14 days of wear. Each time your hairpiece is washed, the lifespan of your wig is shortened. Using as few styling products as possible on your wig will allow you to wash it less often and extend its life. Here are the steps How To Revive Human Hair Wigs and Hair Pieces.
Wearing a wig cap underneath will also extend the life of your wig. The wig cap will help absorb scalp oils, keeping them away from the base of the cap. Invest in quality products to maintain your wig.
Step 1. Address the issue
- Tangling and matting t the nap
- Dry and Frizzy
Step 2. Pin the wig to a canvas head
- Use t-pins to secure at the top of each ear tab
- Pin at the bottom of each ear tab & at the outer corners of the nape area.
Step 3. Begin the detangling process
- Separating into small sections allows you to have more control in that area and does not put as much tension on the hair when brushing/combing through.
Step 4. Condition wig/Hair piece
- Combine the Conditions with 2-3 pumps of Argan Treatment Mist
- Blend the products in your hands
Step 5. Rub the products into the matted area
- Apply the mixture to the affected areas;
- Avoid applying too much or getting near any hand tied areas.
Step 6. Detangle one more time
- Gently begin to comb the tangles out in small sections;
Step 7. Wash your wig/hair piece, Deep Condition the wig/hair piece
- Using cool running water, use Jon Renau Luxury Smooth Shampoo and rinse;
- Then apply Jon Renau Luxury Smooth Conditioner throughout mid-strands and ends, then rinse.
- After the wig has been cleansed, you will begin the deep conditioning process;
- First, brush through the wig with Jon Renau Paddle brush.
- Next, apply Jon Renau Luxury Smooth Conditioner and 4-6 sprays of Jon Renau Argan Smooth Treatment mist through the hair avoiding the base of the cap.
- Finally, apply low heat around the hair with a blow dryer for about 1-2 minutes;
- Once deep conditioning process has been completed, rinse the wig with cool running water.
Step 8. Blow dry
- Gently brush through the hair and apply Jon Renau Blown Away Blow Dry Balm. This will help to smooth the cuticles and protect against UV damage.
- Use a round Boar Bristle Brush to blow dry.
Step 9. Style as desired
- For this piece we used Jon Renau Heat Treat Thermal Spray to protect the hair from heat damage and curled the hair with a curling iron.
Human Hair Wig Tip:
- Store your wig on a wig stand or form that is smaller than the base of the cap to prevent the cap from stretching.
- Direct sunlight will fade the hair so avoid storing your wig where it will be exposed to light.
- Do not wear your hairpiece while sleeping. It may result in hair loss, breakage and matting.